Starfruit in my yard and Awards



    I did a post a while back of our backyard. We grow lots of flowers but we also grow some very different things. This is a picture of our Starfruit tree. Have you seen one growing? It is technically a large shrub or small tree. It loves warm weather, but can stand cold temps down to the 30's at night. Can you see the Starfruit?



    Can you see them now? They look like yellow leaves the way they hide in the center of the tree. Now is the time of year when they bear tons of fruit and they ripen right away and are so yummy. If you havn't eaten one they have the texture of a watermelon and the flavor of a loquat. I personally think they taste like a cross between a watermelon and a cantelope.



    This is a close up of fresh ones off the tree. Just pick and wash and get ready to eat.



    When you cut across the fruit they look like stars. I think the shape is so pretty in a fruit salad or topping ice cream. I also love to eat them just like they are as a snack. See the little seeds. There are clubs all across the country called Rare Fruit Growers where you can find out information about Starfruit and other kinds of rare fruit trees to grow, or you can grow them from seed. Cut through the fruit carefully so not to cut the tiny seeds. Wash seeds carefully and dry them. Plant them in good potting soil in a pot. They can be grown in a pot for several years. If you live in a cooler climate they can be placed in front of a window inside and when the weather warms put outside in full sun. From seed it will take about 3 to 4 yrs. to bear fruit, but in the meantime they do have pretty leaves that stay green all year long. Try one, they are such fun.

    This past week I have been honored with three wonderful awards from some of the nicest people in the world.

    The SISTERHOOD Award was given to me by Vanna @ http://lvroftiques.blogspot.com and Susan @ http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com



    The Let's Be Friends Award was given to me by Shelia @ http://notesongs.blogspot.com



    The If The Shoe Fits Wear It Award was given to me by Heidi @ http://bargainhuntinginthecorn.blogspot.com



    All of these ladies are so witty, clever, creative, funny and just downright the nicest people you would ever want to meet. If you havn't visited their blogs you have really missed a real treat. They are very caring and loving and you will laugh, dream and be inspired by all of them. I know I'm suppossed to pass these on to others, so I am doing that just now. If you are reading this, then you are tagged and I would love for you to take all of them. I know you all so deserve it. I do appreciate these awards and all the wonderful people that pay me a visit. You guys make my stroll thru life so much nicer and I sincerely thank you.

Post Title

Starfruit in my yard and Awards


Post URL

https://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2009/02/starfruit-in-my-yard-and-awards.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List