Living Room design ideas needed!

    Now that I have put away the Christmas decorations I am working on a plan for our living room. I'm hoping some of my talented blog friends have some ideas for my living room.
    

    I will be working with many things we already have, but I will certainly keep an eye out for items that will help me achieve the look I want. The mantel shelf is coming down as soon as hubby and the boys get back from a day trip to the farm. Our living room, or front room, is on the small side, roughly 11' x 14', with an odd shaped parapet wall/opening, a small front window and a large doorway opening to the dining room. I need a new wall colour, in a darker beige ? but can't go too dark or this room becomes a dungeon (I know from a previous 'brown pony' paint colour.) Most of our main floor is Stone House by Benjamin Moore. I like the drop cloth pillows, curtains and ottoman cover.

    The accessories are just piled haphazardly because I was vacuuming piles of dog hair even though we just vacuumed on Wednesday, washing floors, dusting... I like a nice soothing space and I'm not too big on pattern or colour in our home. Is this just too plain though? 

    I have an oval gold mirror, or a pair of tall narrow wood frame mirrors, or a pair of rectangular patterned frame mirrors to choose from if they will work in this room. I'm not sure I like the flanking the couch look of the mirrors in the photo below.

    I have all 3 tables in the photo below available, but I like the white painted table in the photos above too.

     (Older photo)
    I have 6 of these frames and mats available, and while I like the antique gold, I can easily paint the frames and the large gold lamp bases. I was thinking of putting the six frames above the sofa, with photos of barns 'cause that is more 'us'. Or should I do an art wall, with an assortment of frames?

    The mantel shelf is not staying. It has been challenging fun to decorate it, but we will soon have a mantel over the fireplace in the family room.

    The following two photos are from the designer Kelly McGuill from O so D. I love her work. I love the leather with the frames above the sofa. Lighter woods are nice too. I also like the light pillows and updated lampshades.

    Image: Kelly McGuill

    Although this gray would be too dark, would it be weird to jump on the gray bandwagon when the rest of our main floor is Stone House beige? I'm not a gray fan, but I love the gray and beige together here.
     Image: HGTV Dream Home 2011

    If I was to use colours other than neutrals, I would use blue. I love denim and shades of blue.

    Image: HGTV Dream Home08

    What is staying:
    leather sofa
    large ottoman
    one or two of the white slipcovered chairs?
    white side table?
    small pine hutch/bookcase?

     What is changing?
    paint colour currently BM Monroe Bisque
    mantel shelf going
    lamp shades need to be updated I think

    So, what do you think? Any ideas or inspiration photos? I appreciate all comments! 

Post Title

Living Room design ideas needed!


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/01/living-room-design-ideas-needed.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List