Shingle Style Inspiration

    In trying to find inspiration to work on some unfinished trim projects here at home, I came across these photos I had in my inspiration file.

    I am a fan of Shingle Style homes and this Canadian lakeside vacation home above, from BHG, is a favourite of mine.


    Our home's exterior has a hint of Shingle Style (crisp and simple, restrained ornamentation, multi-gabled roof, white wave board and arched window.) The trim and attention to detail in this home is awesome. Our builder basic home is much simpler than this home (and totally lacking shingles) but it shows that by adding architectural interest to ours, on a much smaller scale, we can get some of the same feeling. 


    Our home has carpeted stairs with oak rails that I would love to rip up, repair, paint and stain. Yeah, huge project but it would look so good. Not as great or as large as this entry with the gorgeous hardwood, but certainly fresher.


    Layers of trim and tongue-and-groove ceiling boards in fresh white make me swoon. On a smaller scale I can add recessed panel trim to the two posts in our dining room where the drywall is chipping away from our kids playing hockey in the house.


    The mix of materials in this room is really appealing. Love the planks, barnwood, granite stone, shingles and the light bouncing off the white ceiling. The cathedral ceiling in our family room/kitchen (think horrible popcorn ceiling with lovely skylights) would really look great with a beadboard or tongue-and-groove plank treatment. Actually, just about anything would look better than the popcorn ceiling ;)


    Another shot of the same room. Great windows and lovely transoms. We have the wall of windows/patio door but not the transoms. I have been working on our board and batten wall, but have stopped at the fireplace because I'm still not sure what to do there.


    This stone really appeals to me but is probably way out of my price range and skill level. I do have black curtain rods and simple white curtains though : ) More great ceiling treatments including this coffered one.
      

    A farmhouse sink {SIGH}. We had one growing up and I was so excited when my parents put in new cabinets and a 'modern' stainless sink. How I would love to have that old beauty now! Also on our list of wishes (not needs) is a subway tile backsplash. This home has a great mix of subway tile and herringbone tile.
      

    Another great detail in the home is oil-rubbed bronze door hardware. I may just have to look into changing out some of our builder shiny-brass doorknobs to match our front door hardware. Have any of you had luck with spray painting interior door knobs? I'm also wondering if you ever get inspiration to continue a project (or the opposite~totally distracted) by great home tours or photos from your inspiration file?

    ALL PHOTOS EXCEPT THE SECOND ONE ARE VIA BHG

Post Title

Shingle Style Inspiration


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/09/shingle-style-inspiration.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List