Master Bedroom Closet Makeover~Part 1

    Our builder basic bedroom closet got the beginning of a makeover this weekend. I prepped and painted and our 14 year old son installed the closet organizer.


    I know, from the above picture it is nothing spectacular but to us it is a huge improvement. (And our carpet, although it needs replacing, is beige, not the pink it appears in the photo.) We started by removing the closet doors (that were always sticking and were so annoying.) Then we removed the single shelf and rod that spanned the entire 9 feet and left so much wasted space above and below.


    The door track left a 6 inch space with no carpeting, so we decided to remove the carpet and paint the floor for now. Lots of staples and carpet tack.
    

    We originally thought of adding beadboard to the inside of the closet, but after I patched the drywall and added several coats of fresh white paint it looked so much better. We decided to save the money and use beadboard in other areas of our home that will be more noticeable.


    Our closet organizer is Configurations by Rubbermaid (8 feet) that we got at Home Depot (Canada) for $237. Nothing fancy but so much more practical than the single shelf and rod we had for the last 13 years. Our oldest son is a true diy-er and loves to tackle projects so he was happy to install it (besides, he asks for tools for Christmas and has all the good ones.)
     Edited to add: I thought I should re-clarify that the photo below is my inspiration photo, not our own closet. I will share our closet refilled once it is complete.
    This inspiration photo is from California Closets. This one doesn't have enough hanging clothes space, but is a similar size to ours and I really like the curtain. My dream closet would be my sister and bil's custom walk-in.

    Our clothes are back in our closet, and that is part one finished. We still have more plans for this space though.
    • hooks of some sort for our belts, my necklaces, etc.
    • baskets for storage on shelves
    • check out the optional items that go with this system
    • trim the outside of the closet
    • add a temporary curtain (while we figure out a door solution/save up the money)
    • and not any time soon, hardwood floors for our bedroom including the closet.
    Thanks to all my friends and readers that continue to stop by. It has been a crazy and tiring week as we adjust to me starting back to work/school (and one son in grade 7 and the other starting high school) on top of increased demands now that we are in full Fall Fair mode. The cooler weather this week is certainly a nice bonus though.

    I'm linking up with...
    WOW us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Post Title

Master Bedroom Closet Makeover~Part 1


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/09/master-bedroom-closet-makeoverpart-1.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List