Cows, cows and more cows

    I was inspired by a post from Kristin at Faded Prairie to share our family's love of cows.

    Hubby was raised on a small farm and I was raised in a small city. When we married and bought our first home in the same small city, our home reflected my love of cows. The more cow-themed items the better! We had cow canisters, cow wallpaper borders, cow fabric curtains, cow everything! Over the years, the cow themed items have drifted away. Only a few favourites remain.


    But now the inanimate cow decor has been replaced with the real thing (one our son owns and the others generously lended by farmers for the shows.)

     
    Our oldest son, now 13, must have inherited B.O.D., as Kristin calls it. Bovine Obsessed Disorder. Last year he researched and joined our local 4-H Club. We live in town, not on a farm, but 4-H people are welcoming and encouraging. Truly a great bunch of people. The 4-H Program is an organization of leaders building leaders. They pledge their Head, Heart, Hands and Health as members of community based clubs to "Learn by doing." Last year he joined our local Dairy Club and Beef Club. This year there is Dairy, Beef, Rabbit and Tractor Clubs.

    He saved all his birthday money and Show and Fair winnings to buy a Holstein calf (the muddy one) that he keeps on his uncle's farm, two hours away. We are very proud of this young man with the big dreams. The boy who falls asleep at night reading stock brochures and farm manuals. We are also proud of his little brother, who goes along to all the barns, fairs and shows and is his brother's biggest fan. We often hear them discussing the land and the tractors they will own one day. Boys with big plans amd big dreams.

    The school year will soon be over here and this will allow us more time for all the activities. It will also give me more free time for projects around our home. As soon as I repaint the frame, I will share one of my favourite cow themed items, a stitched piece, that I saved from those early homemaking days. This girl with B.O.D. will also be keeping an eye out for some unique pieces like those Kristin has collected.

    I'm linking to A Few of My Favorite Things Saturdays over at Laurie's/Bargain Hunting and Chatting With Laurie. I found Laurie's blog, back when I first started blogging, from her comments on two of the first blogs I visited. Be sure to stop by a see her great blog and all the party link ups.


     

Post Title

Cows, cows and more cows


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2010/06/cows-cows-and-more-cows.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List