Adding Some Architectural Interest~Finally Getting Started

    Adding some architectural interest to our home in the form of trim work has been something I have wanted to start for quite a while. There is so much inspiration, and talent, out there in blog land and I have finally worked up the courage to jump in. The following two photos are some of the inspiration:
    I love these examples, above and below, from the gorgeous Blue River Cottage, Stephen Alexander Homes and Neighborhoods.
    My husband and I are novices in the home reno area. I can paint any wall, including stairwells, and paint often, but construction and woodworking jobs are not something either of us have experience with. Hiring someone is not in our budget, so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. Lucky for us we have a strong and enthusiastic 13 year old sidekick. And a nephew with an air compressor and nailer he was willing to lend us (we so want one now.)
     This is what we started with and the colour of the kitchen for the last few years...
    And after a coat of fresh white before any trim was added...
    We also worked on adding thicker baseboard on the opposite wall, but had to stop for the day when the extra trim we picked up from the local hardware store was thicker than the trim from Home Depot. Hopefully I can share a little more of the progress, slow though it is, by the end of the week (I work full time outside of our home.) It may not end up looking as glamorous as the inspiration photos, but I'm liking it better already. And I figure if we keep adding a bit more, eventually I will get around to the dreaded fireplace wall, and over time we may work our way over to the stairs. Hoping you have a wonderful week,

Post Title

Adding Some Architectural Interest~Finally Getting Started


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2010/11/adding-some-architectural_14.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List