My Quilts ~ Where It All Began

    I have always had a love of quilts and grew up watching my mom sew. She made us dresses, dolls and doll clothes and kept the annual church bazaar full of hand sewn items. In later years, she even attempted a Sunbonnet Sue quilt and made beautiful stuffed animals and nativity figurines.


    In 1992 we were married, bought our first home and my first sewing machine. It is a very basic Kenmore from Sears that I hope to replace one day with a new quilting machine. That year, I signed up for a beginner quilting course at The Hobby Horse in Glen Williams, Ontario with a friend. We purchased fabric for our quilts at the shop and each week we carried our sewing machine to the classroom in the basement to learn how to cut and sew a Log Cabin/Fields and Furrows layout quilt the Eleanor Burns 'Quilt in a Day' way, and how to 'stitch in the ditch'. These were the colours of our bedroom in that new home. Navy blue walls below the chair rail, and light pink above. Hello '90's!


    Sadly the middle blue colour faded after the first wash. It was a defect in the fabric that the quilt store replaced, but the quilt was already assembled. We sold that first home and moved to our new hpme, the double bed became our son's bed, and this double sized Log Cabin quilt became a spare in the guest room. Simply made and faded, but loved all the same. 

    I'm joining the air your laundry friday textile party at Freckled Laundry. 'See' you there!

Post Title

My Quilts ~ Where It All Began


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-quilts-where-it-all-began.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List