Livestock and Farmer's Market Sign

    We enjoy visiting Farmer's Markets and the livestock exchanges in both St. Jacobs and Keady, Ontario.  

    I was looking for something to hang on this tall narrow wall at the cathedral end of our family room and kitchen and decided a hand painted sign would work. Simple and rustic, and reminding us of one of our favourite markets. I like how it looks with the white board and batten wall too.


    I tried to make it look like an old and weathered local advertising sign, as if in it's previous life it was hanging on a building leading into Tara, Ontario. I'm happy with the results (even the crooked lettering~oops.)


    The sign that inpired mine is in the great book Romantic Prairie Style by Fifi O'Neill. I painted the leftover board a slate grey colour and printed my lettering off on the computer. I traced the letters with sharp pencils to make a slight indent in the wood, and then carefully filled it in. These smaller letters were a bit more challenging. A quick sanding to distress and then a wipe on/wipe off of Minwax Special Walnut stain (if I was to do it again I would use a lighter stain on the grey paint.)


    The best part is that it was made with stuff I already had on hand (leftover scrap of wood, latex and craft paints, stain, and picture hanger.)


    I think it adds a bit of the rustic farmhouse feel that we love.

    Linking my $0 sign with...
    Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
    Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
    WOW us Wednesday's at Savvy Southern Style
    Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

Post Title

Livestock and Farmer's Market Sign


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/10/livestock-and-farmer-market-sign.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List