Livestock and Farmer's Market Sign

    We enjoy visiting Farmer's Markets and the livestock exchanges in both St. Jacobs and Keady, Ontario.  

    I was looking for something to hang on this tall narrow wall at the cathedral end of our family room and kitchen and decided a hand painted sign would work. Simple and rustic, and reminding us of one of our favourite markets. I like how it looks with the white board and batten wall too.


    I tried to make it look like an old and weathered local advertising sign, as if in it's previous life it was hanging on a building leading into Tara, Ontario. I'm happy with the results (even the crooked lettering~oops.)


    The sign that inpired mine is in the great book Romantic Prairie Style by Fifi O'Neill. I painted the leftover board a slate grey colour and printed my lettering off on the computer. I traced the letters with sharp pencils to make a slight indent in the wood, and then carefully filled it in. These smaller letters were a bit more challenging. A quick sanding to distress and then a wipe on/wipe off of Minwax Special Walnut stain (if I was to do it again I would use a lighter stain on the grey paint.)


    The best part is that it was made with stuff I already had on hand (leftover scrap of wood, latex and craft paints, stain, and picture hanger.)


    I think it adds a bit of the rustic farmhouse feel that we love.

    Linking my $0 sign with...
    Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
    Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
    WOW us Wednesday's at Savvy Southern Style
    Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

Post Title

→

Livestock and Farmer's Market Sign


Post URL

→

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/10/livestock-and-farmer-market-sign.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List