Our Entry

    I wanted to join the party at Cottage and Vine today so I added some fresh flowers and took some new photos.

    The entry to our home for everyday use and guests is from our covered porch through the front door. We have patio doors in the kitchen to our backyard, but they are not a practical everyday entry. Our front entry is on the small side so we try to keep things tidy by using the closet, the small black cupboard and extra hooks in the basement stairwell.

    I bought this little two door pine cupboard unfinished and then painted it black and distressed it. We needed something that wasn't too deep for this space. The cupboard holds baskets for hats and mitts for each of us and a basket for our dog's leashes etc.

    The top of the cabinet is great for setting down packages. It also holds a little dish for keys, a phone/electronics charging station and a little tooled leather box to hold small items and a flashlight in case the power goes out. The ledge to the living room has room for fresh flowers from the garden and a metal pot for sunscreen, bugspray and sunglasses. I sewed a muslin ruffled runner to add some fabric and lightness to the cupboard surface.

    On the other side of our small entry is a closet, a powder room and our stairs to the second floor and basement. The closet stores shoes, boots, backpacks, extra winter gear and coats. I'll share some of my entry closet storage ideas another day. I'll just say that a little closet can hold a whole bunch when it is well organized.

    Two years ago I decided to paint the back of the front door black, and then changed from our brass lockset to black when the old one broke. I still need to touch up the black around the lockset and with an active family I find I need to refresh the hall trim paint every fall.

    This little sign above the opening reminds me that our home should be a place of peace for our family and guests. The expression is also an integral part of our faith and the palm fronds were blessed at Easter.

    When I painted the entry (Benjamin Moore Stone House) I simplified the wall accessories with just a mirror, a seasonal element (currently the berry wreath) and the sign. Now I'm thinking I might change the mirror. I have a pair (with three other matching picture frames) that I might paint white and try. Our entry is difficult to photograph with the lighting, but the wall colour is a tan (not yellow or gold as some of these photos make it appear.) I also have plans for the stairs, railing and continuing the board and batten into the basement stairs, but that is a future project.

    I hope you enjoyed the little tour and that you get a chance to stop by the other links at Cottage and Vine.
    I love Rene's door colour! Peace be with you! If you get a chance come back tomorrow and I will share the mirrors/frames I'm considering using.
    Update: I switched out the mirror after seeing these photos, stop by my newer post here and let me know what you think.

Post Title

Our Entry


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/08/our-entry.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List