No. 8 Grainsack

    While I would love some real grain sack loveliness in our home, for now I made a faux version for our living room.

    My sister-in-law and I took a day trip to Ancaster, Ontario and the fabric district of Hamilton this week and we came across an antique shop with a pile of vintage grain sacks. It was lovely to actually hold a real grain sack in my hands (I was surprised by the weight), but at $95 each they were way out of my budget.

    I've seen many of these on blogs and decided to make my own faux grainsack pillow using leftover drop cloth fabric, grey craft paint and textile medium, painter's tape, a fine point artist brush and a stiff stencil brush.

    The No. 8 was added freehand on a whim (I'm number 7 of 8 kids) and I like the results. I might just have to make a similar table runner for our updated dining room.

    A simple envelope back makes the pillow easy to slip off and launder, an important feature with boys who visit barns and a dog who visits my garden. Next time I would go a little lighter with the paint/textile medium but I think the lines will 'wear' a bit in the wash and look even better.

    Lovin' our new soft and squishy pillow, made for free with items I already had!

    I'm linking with

    Air Your Laundry Friday at Freckled Laundry

    FeatheredNest Friday at French Country Cottage

    Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground

    Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest

    Also linking to the 'Best DIY Project of August" at Beneath My Heart.




Post Title

No. 8 Grainsack


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-8-grainsack.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List