Met. & Thrifty Monday - New Accessories





    Thanks to Susan @ Between Naps On The Porch and Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality for hosting these two wonderful events. Be sure to visit both of these lovely ladies to see what all they've got to show us and a list of everyone else that is participating.

    It seems that shells are showing up all over blogland and in the stores adorning everything from mirrors to picture frames and anything the imagination can dream up. While browsing through an upscale designer boutique in Scottsdale recently, I saw some gorgeous shell balls. At $29.95 each, I thought I could duplicate them for a lot less.

    This is what I came up with. Pretty good don't you think.


    I had several bags of different shells that I found at the Dollar Tree, so I headed off to Michaels for some styrofoam balls and got out the glue gun.


    Just putting them wherever they would fit, this is the first one I came up with.


    This is the second one.


    I also had a bag of starfish from the Dollar Tree and my DH came in and said, why don't you sit them on the starfish. Clever guy. I love it. The starfish holds them perfectly.


    Since the Living Room is still decorated in all the soft blue/greens for the summer, I thought they would be great on an end table. Just a little bit of the seashore added to the room.


    I also took a small cloche I have (don't forget the Fall Cloche Party on Sept. 11th) and put a starfish and a few of the leftover shells inside to complete my vignette.


    All together I have less than $5 in the project and I still have a lot of balls and shells left over for other projects. That's pretty thrifty wouldn't you think?

    While I had the glue gun out I wanted to try another project. I've seen the most gorgeous tassels all over blogland, so I thought I'd try making one.


    I painted a thread spool chocolate brown and assembled some leftover fringe and ribbons from other projects and got busy. I cut the small ribbons and glued to the bottom of the spool and then started layering different trims around the spool, just hot glueing them down really well. I used a wide chocolate wire ribbon for the big loops. For the hanger I just threaded the small ribbon through the spool and tied a knot at the bottom large enough to not pull through and taa-daa, it was done.


    I decided to hang it on the key to my china cabinet. I love the look of it.

    This was super thrifty. FREE I think I will try to make more, this was a lot of fun.

    Also as a reminder there are a few memes coming up soon that you will want to join. You can click on the buttons on my sidebar for all the details. On August 12th there's the Feathered Friends Party. Remember all the fun we had with the Target Birds meme. This one is to show us all of your birds that you use in your decorating. Then on August 28th there's the Show us your Roosters meme. Now since we all love our roosters, I know you will want to participate in this one too.
    Let's all join the fun, and thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate it. I've scheduled this to post on Sunday since I will be gone most of the day, hope it works. lol

Post Title

Met. & Thrifty Monday - New Accessories


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2009/08/met-thrifty-monday-new-accessories.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List