Adding Curb Appeal ~Phase 1

    It is time to update our home's curb appeal! Curb appeal plays a large role in determining a property's value and it is the first thing visitors notice.

    Our home is modest for our neighbourhood, but it is a big investment for us. Some ongoing maintenance and curb appeal projects have been planned to keep our home looking fresh. Our plans include small changes, larger projects, general maintenance and long term projects. Some are easy fix projects with supplies already on hand and more muscle than cash needed. Others are longer term because of the cost involved. 

    After work yesterday I managed to get a few items on my list checked off. I decided to remove the low growing pine bush. I felt it was getting too big for the area and the inner part of the bush had some dead needles. Man, were the roots thick! I cut a new garden edge, weeded and added mulch. And yes, I am a lot little sore today. I don't know how people keep up with huge gardens. I also trimmed the euonymus bush at the driveway edge of the garden. It is very healthy but was getting a bit too big for the space.

    We also bought a pair of solar lanterns to add much needed safety lighting and ambience to the walkway at night. I chose Westinghouse Solar 12X High-Output LED Flair Lights from Canadian Tire and love how they look.  I may pick up another pair and put one in the garden (power of three's) and one at the back gate.

    And now, the changes I made yesterday (both the tree and weigela are finished blooming this week):

    Autumn Joy Sedum and a small Weigela bush.


    Newly trimmed variegated euonymus bush.


    I'm getting impatient for the walkway to match our patio. I know it will have the most impact but it won't be happening for awhile. I think the next step will be to get rid of the pesky weeds in the paver cracks. And painting the house numbers black or finding new ones. I might try the zinc pots in the backyard in the front:

    I would love to hear what you think?

    OUR PROJECT LIST FOR INCREASED CURB APPEAL

    Paint:
    repaint porch railing and post
    touch up paint on front door
    touch up paint on overhead garage door

    Accessories:
    updated plant pots, black urns?
    new door mat
    refresh or buy new house numbers

    Landscaping:
    remove pine bush
    trim euonymus bush
    weed garden beds
    mulch front garden bed
    add new spike to support and straighten tree
    overseed lawn
    fertilize lawn

    Windows/Doors
    re-caulk all windows
    add new weatherstripping to front door
    new front door lock set-last year
    new exterior lights-last year
    new man door on garage
    new lockset for man door to match front door hardware
    new overhead garage door-next year

    Front walkway/steps
    buy solar walk lights
    mulch front garden bed
    add new walkway and steps to match back patio -fall or next year
    move beach stones to backyard


    Fence:

    new gate hardware

    It would be easy to hire someone to do all this, but that just isn't in our budget. So we will work on this a bit at a time. Do you think the garden needs more plantings?

    I'm joining SNS at Funky Junk Interiors.

Post Title

Adding Curb Appeal ~Phase 1


Post URL

http://learningwithimpact.blogspot.com/2011/06/adding-curb-appeal-phase-1.html


Visit Learning with Impact for Daily Updated Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List